Are you one of the many lonely people looking for the one who will complete you? Maybe you live in a small town or are too shy to approach someone for fear of rejection. Worry not! The internet holds the answers you seek! Online dating has become increasingly popular over the past few years. It is great for people who are socially awkward or just don’t have the time to go on hundreds of dates to find their special someone.
Pros of online dating:
- The dating pool is so much wider! You will have way more options if you don’t get out a lot due to work or shyness; this is definitely helpful.
- You can go at whatever pace you choose! As long as you communicate that with the person you’re talking to taking it slow is so much easier.
- Less pressure to get “physical”. You’ll be able to get to know each other until you are comfortable meeting in person and whatever comes with that. On that note, I would say always meet in public areas until you are absolutely certain that you are safe with that person.
- It is a lot easier to be yourself online because you aren’t as afraid of what people will think of you. You can be honest and talk about things you might not bring up on a typical date such as religion or politics! You want to make sure you guys can agree on the things that are important to you. If you really like them and disagree though it’s good to learn to respect each other for your differences as well.
- If things don’t work out that’s okay! What are the chances of actually seeing them in public?
Cons of online dating:
- You may end up falling for someone who is pretty far away from you. Be it a glitch or fate, long distance relationships can be pretty difficult. They take a lot of patience and trust in someone you don’t know well yet.
- It really is hard to be 100% certain about who you are talking to. To avoid catfishing I’d say ask for really weird pictures that’d be hard to fake. If they are “borrowing” someone’s identity It will be really hard for them to find a picture of that person wearing a Batman shirt and doing the worm. Actually better yet ask for a video or facetime call. The more they avoid speaking to you face-to-face the more suspicious you should be.
- The internet has its fair share of creeps. Not going to lie it isn’t going to be hard to find someone that will stalk you or become possessive of you. Always be careful with your information online.
- Talking to someone online gives them the chance to show only the “good” parts of them. As in you won’t know the rest of them until they choose to show you. They could be hiding one of your relationship deal breakers and you will be none the wiser.
- If things don’t work out they could go stalker or jealous ex on you. If they live relatively close this could be a potential nightmare.
Personally, I am all for online dating. I met my husband, Dwayne, on OkCupid. It was difficult for me to sort through the people who were just trying to hook up versus who actually wanted to build a relationship of some kind. I am so very glad that I didn’t give up! We both had our profiles set to in our respective area but something glitched and we were matched. (California and Minnesota aren’t exactly close OkCupid.) As long as you persevere, be safe and have fun with it; online dating is the easiest thing in the world!~
Have you checked out the online dating scene? Have you found your one and only or no such luck? Tell me about your experiences in the comments below! ❣See you soon!❣